Students should be at school every day to maximize their learning. However, there are times when a student should not come to school. Please keep your student home if they are experiencing any of the following:
- A temperature of 100 degrees or higher. Keep them home until fever-free for 24 hours without medicine. Never give aspirin to a child under 19 years old.
- Your child has been diagnosed with a contagious illness and has not yet received medication for a minimum of 24 hours, or until your doctor tells you your child is no longer contagious.
- A sore throat so bad that your child will not eat or drink
- A persistent, productive cough or wheezing
- More than one episode of diarrhea or vomiting within the last 8-12 hours.
- A lot of pain for some reason (for example, a new injury)
- Head lice – only until treated and nits removed
- Signs of conjunctivitis such as red, crusty or swollen eyes
Always make sure to call the attendance office to notify the school within 72 hours to excuse an absence due to illness.
If you have any questions as to whether or not your student should stay home, please call the VVHS Health Office at (760) 955-3300 x31153 or the District Nurse, Tanya Martin, at (760) 955-3201 x10238.